Saturday, October 15, 2011

In Which We Share the Caramel Recipe With Jamie :)

  • cup butter 
  • cups packed brown sugar
  • cup light corn syrup
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • teaspoons vanilla
  • Pinch of Salt

  • In a heavy saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, salt and milk; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 248 degrees (firm ball stage) about 30-40 minutes and for a softer caramel cook just to a few less degrees. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. 


    Notes- don't double in a larger pan, make 2 pans.  When I say Butter I mean Butter.  Don't try margarine or soy substitute, because it will fail miserably.  Very Salty peanuts make a great addition to the outside of the apples, and will make sure the apples don't stick to your (very well buttered) wax paper.

  • 1 comment:

    Jami and James said...

    Thanks Kristina! I think I'll try it out with my girls tomorrow.