Saturday, January 8, 2011

In Which I Get a Bitty Smackdown

I am a huge sucker for a person with a cardboard sign.

EPIC sucker.

You want a coat or a free McDonald's lunch on me? Throw up a "Cold and Hungry Please Help" on an inverted Domino's Pizza Box.  I just feel bad I can't supersize your coke anymore.

Today we had lunch with Grandma at Olive Garden.  I have pictures! (This is not conversational whiplash, it's just setting up the story...which, btw, is a true story)

On our way out, there was a man standing on the corner holding a sign.  Logan asked if he was Santa- he had a white beard and a white cap on his head- so I can see it.  I didn't have any cash, which is actually not my donation of choice, so we drove past him, but went across the street to pick him up a meal.  When we drove back, I got out and gave it to him, and he said "thank you for being the hands of Jesus" which I thought was very nice.  I was feeling pretty good when I got in the car until we drove past him again and turned onto the main road and Savannah asked "Who was that".

I don't know, someone who has fallen on some hard times.

"But Momma, who WAS that?"

Sweetheart, he's just somebody who needed a lunch today

"He's NOT just somebody, what's his NAME? He has a name, he's not just somebody!"

Now, I know that this was just the fixation of a 2 year old.  I do.  But at the same time, how right was she.  I could have filled way more than a need for a meal if I'd taken two more seconds to take an interest.  Smackdown accomplished, thanks Savannah.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My girls always do the same to me! Who is he (because it's always a he, it seems)? Why is he there? Can we take him to our house? We have room. Look, just put the seats up in the van. And on and on and on. To alleviate some of this, I park the car, hand the two big ones a granola bar and water bottle, dodge cars, and let them hand the person their items. Then they can interrogate him as much as they want. Usually, they get to shy and just say, "God loves you, sir."

Kids are soooo funny, and their heart to give to others always astounds me. That's how we start out, and then we get calloused. Thank God for teaching me through my kids!