Monday, November 14, 2011

In Which It's November

Oh, hey...look at that, it's been a few weeks!  Whew!

Let's see...there was no Halloween party because our basement decided to give me trouble....I didn't get to go see my friend Lindsay when she brought her new son home from Africa because my kids were sick and then I had a headache for 3 days where I basically slept non-stop to escape the pain in the back of my neck (bonus: I lost 5 pounds by sleeping instead of eating anything!) Savannah got scarlet fever, Austin quit his job so he could take a new one...I think that covers it :)

 Look! Cute pictures!! We've been enjoying the Tuesday craft days that a very sweet woman in our CC group hosts every week.  In addition to having an amazingly decorated home, she also comes up with an adorable craft each week.  In this one, we did spider cupcakes and then Connor, who is the love of Savannah's life, taught a lesson about garden spiders.
 We were seriously suffering without our basement being functional! A townhouse is small enough without having to jam everything on to two floors! Riley enjoyed moving all over the main floor especially because it allowed him to do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE while listening to his story of the world CDs.  He would listen to them all day, every day if he could.
 We got to enjoy our friends Mia, Kat, and Bella for a sleepover.  Their parents went to a ball! How fun! I wish that non-military institutions would do balls.  I haven't dressed up for a dance since Freshman year of college!! We had a fun (albeit late) sleepover and then the next day, I woke the kids up and rushed them around before realizing it was Veterans Day and there was no preschool.  I'm a genius.
Instead we went to the Marine Corps Museum and gave cards to Veterans.  Savannah was adorable going around saying "Happy Vetwans Day!!" and I'm pretty sure she made several grown men tear up.  All the kids had a great time handing out cards, although the museum has a lot of "reality" in it and seemed to make Kat and Logan very concerned about everything.

In terms of school we're doing well, too.  We're on week 12 of CC, studying the end of the civil war, geographic features of the east coast, and finishing up with a field trip with our friends to Appomattox Courthouse.  Logan's moved on to chapter 7 of Singapore Math A which is on measurements and Riley just finished 2A chapter 2.  Logan's reading is going really well, and so is Riley's.  I'm still really enjoying Teach Your Child to Read and Logan is in the 60s.  Riley is reading Revolutionary War on Wednesday right now and doing very well with it.  The IEW work is going well, too.

Our CC group takes a huge break after this week, allowing us to have time to truly enjoy the Christmas season.  I've been collecting work that will allow us to focus on the holiness of the season and integrate our studies.  We'll also use the time to review our memory work.

I think that's about it!

No comments: