Wednesday, November 30, 2011

In Which We Have a Pantry Challenge

This time of year I think everyone could use a little extra money, whether it's for presents or charity, or just to head into a new year with some dollars in the bank.

I decided that this 2 weeks (my grocery budget is divided into 2 week increments) would be a pantry challenge.  I'm giving myself a budget of $20 for each week to fill in where needed (i.e. when my kids inevitably run out of milk) and hoping to use up items in my fridge, standing freezer, and pantry.

Tonight I started off by cooking a HUGE bulk package of chicken breasts that I got at Wegmans on great sale a few months ago.  I usually break up such large packs when I get home before freezing, but, if I remember correctly, I was out of plastic storage bags and so I lazily threw this whole mama-jama in the freezer and have been avoiding it ever since because it's TOO big to use unless we have a BBQ! It'll work out great for this week, though, even if we're very chicken-heavy :) All the chicken meals are basically prepared and put away, unless they need a last-minute addition (i.e. matzo balls)

For breakfast we've got oatmeal, cereal, toast, and eggs.  Lunches will be turkey or pbj sandwiches or leftovers, and I'll do mac and cheese or something warm at least once.

Week 1- November 30-December 6
Wednesday: Mexican Chicken Casserole, Spicy Corn with Bacon
Thursday: Slow cooker bbq chicken over baked potatoes, green beans, cole slaw
Friday: Pasta with capers and white wine butter sauce,  cucumber tomato salad
Saturday: Pizza (Riley's birthday party and the CC Practicum)
Sunday: Kung Pao Chicken with Rice, egg rolls
Monday: Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sammies (Scouts)
Tuesday: Leftovers

Shopping List: Egg Rolls, cole slaw mix, cucumber, tomato

Week 2- December 7-December 14
Wednesday: Matzo Ball Soup, yeast rolls
Thursday: Vegetarian Chili, cornbread
Friday: Pancakes and Bacon
Saturday: Grammy's House (Cookie Swap)
Sunday: Chicken Salad over greens
Monday: Vegetarian fried rice, fruit salad
Tuesday: Leftovers

Shopping list: Onion, parsley, can of rotel tomatoes, salad mix, frozen mixed veggies

Anyone else trying to cut a few corners on the grocery budget this December?

No comments: