Monday, June 27, 2011

In Which We "Start" Homeschooling. Day

Today was our first "official" day of homeschooling.  (Yes, I know it's June 27th.  We plan to do year-round school and take our breaks when all the rest of you suckers are still in school so that we get Disney all to ourselves...)

There are several things that were must-haves for me, and several things that were kind of important but not too important.  Here's what our day looked like:
1) Math.  Yes, math.  No we didn't start with devotion, we started with a math lesson on fractions and baked some banana bread.  I got out the one cup measure and all the smaller ones and the 1 T/1t measure and all the smaller ones and then divided the recipe in half so there were harder fractions to work with (and each kid got more turns!! wheee!!!) and then we proved each fraction before measuring the actual ingredient.
"Logan, remember that a fraction is part of a whole.  If this says 1/8th of a teaspoon, what is the part?"
"One"
"Good! And what is the whole?"
"Eight"
"Awesome! So how many of these 1/8 teaspoons would I need to fill one teaspoon?"
"Three!"
"Um, okay, let's try that! Was 3 right?"
"No....how about 22?"

Riley did much better :)  Anyhow, in the end the banana bread got all its ingredients successfully added and Savannah did an awesome job mashing bananas with a fork (and/or her fingers, a wooden spoon, and a toy dinosaur.  He was hungry.)  While the banana bread was in the oven...
2) Nature study.  This was a non-negotiable for me.  I hate that our kids spend almost no time outside and I wanted to start our day each day with a walk or hike.  Today we drove (we had bread in the oven) to a local trail and got in a good 40 minute hike before my buzzer went off.  I realize that I need a field guide for Virginia.  I don't want to be attached to my cell phone all day, I want to use some actual books, and there are just too many plants that I don't recognize.  A la: