I want to cook more. I've gotten lazy, especially with couponing since it's so tempting to buy prepared items. They're not good, they're not good for you (ahem, the recipe I'm going to share has 3/4 of a stick of butter, hem), and I love to cook.
To that end, Logan wanted to make "Olive-ah Garden" for his dinner night this week. Enter, Chicken Scampi.
Olive-ah Garden Salad (Logan is specific about amounts): american mix bagged salad, 5 pepperoncini peppers, 2 thin slices red onion, 10 black olives, 1/2 cup garlic croutons, 2 roma tomatoes sliced, Kraft Zesty Italian (I hear the OG sells their dressing now- must look into this!)
Chicken Scampi- complicated, but delicious, and only 40 minutes WITH 5 year old "helper"!
1 box Angel Hair pasta, cooked
1 package chicken tenderloins
3/4 stick butter
3/4 cup milk
1 green pepper, sliced
1/2 large red onion, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
5 T butter
3 T crushed garlic
1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
3 t italian seasoning
pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups white wine
1 1/4 cups water
10 cloves of garlic
1. Wrap the unpeeled garlic cloves in tin foil or place in a small ceramic baking dish. Place in oven at 375.
2. Lightly flour and sauté the chicken in a small amount of olive oil (or olive oil and butter...why waste that last teaspoon?)
3. In the meantime, in another pan melt the butter and add the flour. Cook for 1 minute to remove pasty flavor, and then slowly whisk in the milk. Continue whisking until thick.
4. In another pan, melt the 5T butter with the garlic, pepper flakes, italian seasoning and pepper.
5. Remove the cooked chicken from the pan. Add the 1 and 1/4 cups water to the hot pan to deglaze, scraping up the bottom of the pan as you go. Add this to the butter/garlic/pepper flake mixture.
6. In the former chicken pan, add the peppers and onions and cook to desired doneness using a small amount of water or oil to prevent sticking.
7. Add the wine to the butter/garlic mixture. Simmer for 8-10 minutes until the raw alcohol flavor has cooked off. Add a heaping 1/4 cup of the béchamel (flour,butter,milk) mixture from earlier and whisk to combine. Cook until slightly thickened.
8. Remove the garlic from the oven (should be soft and roasted in 35-40 minutes). Remove skins and mash slightly into the sauce. Combine chicken, veggies, and sauce. Serve over angel hair pasta. Parmesean optional.